I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Friday, May 20, 2005

I could post daily about driving in Taiwan...but I had an especially noteworthy drive home from work today. First I had to drive Andrew to the train station after work. The fact that he didn't have a helmut was only relevant in the red lights I chose not to blow....After I dropped him off I slowed at a red light and saw a few people on a little scooter putting along with there lights off so I stopped. Just as I did so another scooter blew the red light and made the loaded scooter have to slow down a little. The driver of the loaded scooter not only honked, but also flipped the speedy fellow the bird. It is so unheard of here that I actually tittered to myself. Then I tittered about the fact that seeing someone flip someone else the bird for blowing a red light and almost hitting them was tit-worthy (huh?).
The thing is, here you don't see that. You really don't see road rage at all. I have seen full accidents where the people brushed themselves off, checked out there scooters, shook hands and drove off. I have seen some scary near misses where both parties just smiled and waved. In Taiwan, the honking of ones horn does not mean "Open your eyes you mother fucking wanker!!" it is more of a "pardon me, coming through" at best it's a "get the hell out of the way, here I come". It is only us "why- gore- ans" that use our horns as a sign of frustration or aggression...or then there is Dave with "What the HELL are you doing?" at the TOP of his lungs!!! It amuses me...

2 Comments:

  • At 2:46 p.m., Blogger Elle said…

    I went on a trip to India & Singapore this Christmas. The drivers in India sound just about as crazy as the drivers in Taiwan. There were times when I thought I was never going to make it back to Canada alive! The biggest issue was that at night everyone drives with their high beams on. So, when everyone has the high beams going, no one can see...everyone just drives blind at night! I never did understand why.

    Oh, and on another note. If there's ever an accident, or if a vehicle broke down...India's wonderful citizens would cut branches off of trees and place them on the road...that would be the "yield" sign! Then, they would find themselves a mattress or something soft to sit on, place that in the middle of the road too and sit down on it while they waited for someone to arrive. It almost look like they were having a great time socializing right there in the middle of the road in the middle of traffic. It was soooo funny.

     
  • At 11:13 a.m., Blogger Ang said…

    That's hilarious!!! I almost think that I am getting off easy(ish)!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home