I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Life in a Small Town

My first day here, also the hottest day they have had here in years, was rough. The two hour time change from BC to Saskatchewan added new life to my jet lag! I tried to watch a movie with one of the town kids (who is not really a kid anymore, she's 19) and she left cause I kept snoring. I managed to stay away till 11 but I had some visitors at about 2:30 am. Mom had been working at the bar that I used to work at and she woke me up to tell me that some of the local boys wanted to have a drink with me. I couldn't get up, so they crawled in with me...Good times!

At 8:30 Thurs morning mom again woke me up (I was getting grumpy) to tell me that my brother Kevin was on the phone. I spoke to him and he was on his way down. Hurrah! Not grumpy anymore!!! When he got out of his truck I ran out to hug him. He ran, so I chased him around the truck and he ran and hugged mom who was standing there. He said that she had to go first, cause if she didn't she would only get left-over, then I got the best hug I have had in over a year!!!

In the past week we have hung out at the bar quite a bit because mom has been working (it started as a favour to the owners, but she enjoys it so much that it has turned into a regular thing) so there has been a lot of bullshitting and complaining about the weather! We have gone out for lunch in neighboring towns a few times, had a few Blizzards and even went golfing one day, and fishing another. We rented a little boat and I was just going to go along for the ride so I mostly drove the boat. Both of them were getting a little annoyed with me nearing the end of the day. Three times one of them handed me there rods to hold because they were helping the other one, or just needed a break. Within seconds I had a bite. By the third time they were not even believing me. It was really very amusing until Kevin told me that I had fishy finger....hmm! But we caught our limit that day and even had to throw a few back because they were too big!! That night we had a gorgeous huge fry up of pickerel and bannock...mmmm bannock!

Overall it has been a great visit so far. It took Kevin and I a few days to find our feet again and there were a few tense moments. I think we are pretty good now, which I am happy about. I am almost 32 years old, I don't want to be fighting with my little brother. Not to mention that I only see him once a year or so. He is one of my favourite people in the whole world, I certainly don't want to spend my time with him angry!! My mom and I have long since worked out our differences, and although she drives me nuts sometimes, we don't usually have any real tensions! They are playing Kaiser behind me, so I hear some friendly banter, there is a ham cooking in the oven, so the smell has permeated the house...All is right with the world!





1 Comments:

  • At 3:15 p.m., Blogger Elle said…

    You know, my little brother is one of my favourite people in the whole world too...funny how the brother/sister relationship works...I'm sure he wouldn't believe me if I told him he was.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home