I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Little Things


Sometimes I wonder if I am cut out to be a teacher. I mean, I know I am good at it, and I adore the kids. It is just that sometimes I question if my maturity is at a level that I should be put in charge of forming these young minds. I am pretty sure that they are more mature than me sometimes.

The student in the picture is Steven. He is not the brightest, most well behaved boy but he is FULL of love. He can be in trouble one minute and giving you cuddles the next. No grudges here. He is cute even in his naughtiness. He is not sneaky or mean, he is a bit of a typhoon; loud, and enthusiastic.

As you can see, he has the chubbiest cheeks on any asian child I have seen. I have wanted to bite them since I laid eyes on him. Today he was sitting on my lap giving me a cuddle I told him that I wanted to bite his cheeks. He laughed and told me that his dad always bites his chin. Feeling slightly less wierd, I asked if I could bite his cheeks. He laughed and said no. "Pleeeaaase Steven, can I bite your cheek?" A lightbulb went off and a confident grin crossed his face. "You can bite me if I can have a candy." Deal!!

It was the most satisfying thing I have done in ages!!!

Later that afternoon I caught him in his school bag eating animal crackers. We have a strict rule about bringing treats to school unless they are to share. Being as they are my favorite, I asked for an animal cracker. When he said no I told him if he didnt I would tell Teacher Ella (my Chinese Teacher). I got my animal cracker and had a good laugh about it with Teacher Ella later.

What kind of example am I ??? At least I am having fun!!

edit: This morning I walked into class. Steven wrapped himself around my leg and said, in his best English "Teacher, you can use my this [pointing at his cheek] if you give me one more candy" I managed to resist, but we will see how the afternoon goes!!

They use the word use anytime they dont know the correct verb. Often you hear students.."Teacher, Jimmy used me here!!"

5 Comments:

  • At 8:10 a.m., Blogger meghansdiscontent said…

    Chica, ease up on yourself.

    I do stuff like that with my kids all the time.

    I seriously doubt that it's okay for me to teach a 3-yr old to do The Snake ala 1980's Paula Abdoul videos . . . but hey, we do what we must to enjoy ourselves and show these kids that they can have fun with us as well as learn.

    He IS super cute.

     
  • At 11:35 a.m., Blogger Steph said…

    You must be an AWESOME teacher to have that kind of connection with your kids.
    They're lucky to have you.

     
  • At 3:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    little nuggets of love and endless entertainment value...the joy of kindy :)

     
  • At 11:13 p.m., Blogger D said…

    I love playing dodgeball with them, what I mean is I like nailing them with the ball haha! Kindy rocks.

     
  • At 10:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dude, don't you have anything new to offer? I have just gone back to work and need some decent gossip to keep my brain chugging away.
    Kisses, hope you are well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home