I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Friday, May 12, 2006

A Week In the Life Of an ESL Teacher

A lot of people in Taiwan, I would venture as far as to say most, don't like teaching. It is what they do because it affords them the lifestyle, the escape, the money the travel; whatever. I love teaching, I love kids. I really love my job. There is the down side, as with everything. But on a day to day basis, I love my job. I am good at my job. A few months ago I started at a new school and it is going great. I am so grateful to my housemate Lisa for introducing me to this school.

Right now I am a 'floating' kindie teacher. This means that I teach a few different classes over the week. The classes that don't have a foriegn homeroom teacher are cheaper that the ones that do. These are the classes that I teach. My boss and I were talking about what would happen next year. What level do I want to teach etc.. I definitely want a homeroom. I want "my class". I love knowing almost every child in the school, but I want to teach the same kids everyday..all day. I want to see my influence...and it is an easier job:) The kids get playground, ballroom, chinese, art etc, where I won't have to teach. Anyway, my boss told me this week that some of my students parents have said that they will pay the extra money for a homeroom class, if I am the homeroom teacher next year!! wooohooo!!! How good does that look?? As well, the chinese teacher of the class that said this is my favourite teacher. I expressed that I would like to work with her next year, and she has requested to work with me too!!! yay!! The relationship with your chinese teacher can really make or break your job atmosphere! I have heard horror stories!

I am slightly torn though...I love the babies. They hug and cuddle and tell me that I am beautiful, and that they love me. They are so adorable sometimes that it makes my heart ache. But I really like teaching the grade 1 classes in the afternoon. They are that little bit older, in real school, and a much better english level. I can tease them, joke with them, have fun, have conversations. In one class I have these twins, Roy and Leo. They crack me up. The are these stocky little nuggets, naughty and cheeky as hell, but clever and really big weaknesses of mine. Second last class of the week I was teaching them 'as...as' comparisons. As cold as ice, as hot as the sun...they were getting it! I was getting excited. I was shouting out adjectives and they were throwing back the comparisons. "Yeah, yeah, good job guys....As hungry as...?"

"Roy!" pipes up Leo from the back of the room.

The chinese teacher and I were crying we were laughing so hard! Great end to the week!

6 Comments:

  • At 8:27 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Loser, Nice story, and I know what you mean. I miss teaching all the time. I miss seeing a tangible difference from one day to the next in their ability to speak and write. I miss hearing my bizzaro way of speaking being mimicked. I actually had a class of little ones saying 'oh my goddess' and 'bugger' all the time. not that I was aiming for a class full of kids with tourettes, but it did fulfill my narcisistic need for mirroring. Incidentally, they learned a lot more than that. So, the question becomes, why would you not stay teaching? Why would you change your direction? Maybe teaching is your calling? Just curious, do tell. And don't call me 'Kath" it makes my skin crawl... grr.

     
  • At 9:34 a.m., Blogger Ang said…

    oh kath...you call me loser then tell me not to call you kath! come on now! sorry, kat, better? it is a totally narcisitic sense of satisfaction! umm, as for staying teaching...i really don't feel like i am contributing anything to society here, i love my job, and the money but it is pretty hollow. i have no desire to be a teacher at home either. teaching english is perfect for me right now, but not my what is going to give me long term satisfaction.

     
  • At 12:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    'loser' is a loving title, you should know that. Kath is merely common sounding. anyhoo, i am glad you are coming home eventually, but you better get that 'goo-goo gah-gah' face you give strange children out of your system in the meantime. kiss-kiss. ooh of note, i took a pole dancing class tonight. What a bloody nightmare! The instructor actually made us slap our butts and meow. needless to say, i don't think my version will have the intended effect, but it was lots of fun!

     
  • At 9:45 a.m., Blogger Steph said…

    Teachers are BORN, and you sound like the type of teacher I'd want my kids to have. :)

     
  • At 2:19 p.m., Blogger Ang said…

    thanks jane, it really is a lot of fun.

    kat, I will always make strange faces at children...it is what i do!

    dave, yep! deep thoughts by the trailer park boys.

    awww shucks steph, thanks! *blush*

     
  • At 10:30 a.m., Blogger JM said…

    Hi,
    Found your blog again. I guess you changed sites, didn't know till I was on Meghan's discontent and saw your comment.
    Good post!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home