I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

BALLOONS

We spent this weekend out at the lake/park. It was Canada and there were some great celebrations for small town Saskatchewan: fireworks, beer gardens, bands, cabarets, face painting, clowns and of course balloons. I am not sure why, but ever since I was little, the sight of a balloon floating away makes me really sad, and slightly anxious. I can remember getting teary watching some other kids balloon floating into the distance. Maybe I still relate to the fear of losing my own balloon. That knot could not be tight enough around my wrist, and I still had to hang on to it in my fist. Letting go of the balloon to let my wrist feel full the full tension of the floating balloon would make my stomach do flip flops....It is the same feeling I get when I (or watch somebody else) hold something out a high window or off a bridge...No matter how securely I hold it turns my whole body to jelly. I am a psych major, I should be able to analyze this. I have never heard of it as a phenomenon though...Anyone else?

4 Comments:

  • At 3:17 p.m., Blogger Elle said…

    I was in a car accident on a bridge many years ago, and to this day when I drive across a bridge I feel anxious. Maybe when you were a kid, someone threw something precious of yours out a window? That could be where these feelings are coming from...it either flies away and never comes back, or drops far down and never comes back...either way, it never comes back and that's what creeps you out.

     
  • At 12:07 p.m., Blogger Liam said…

    Interesting concept. I imagine that if I were in your shoes that holding on to the balloon would be more trouble than its worth, since I'd be constantly more worried about if the balloon was going to blow away than actually having fun with the balloon. When you reach the point where you can let the balloon go, and that it's really not that bad, you will find that there is just as much if not more satisfaction in doing that then tying that balloon tightly onto your waist. (We're assuming here that the balloon of course is a metaphor for anything that we as humans can "cling" to, right?).

     
  • At 5:41 a.m., Blogger Carrie said…

    well, I know nothing about psychology, but from reading your posts, it sounds like you are having a great time in your homeland! I wish I were from a small town, where they had fun things like outdoor bands and face painting. I always wanted my face painted as a kid. Oh, and what are beer gardens?

     
  • At 1:18 p.m., Blogger Ang said…

    Liam...your good! you study psych too?

    rubyjade...as much as i want to say we grow our beers in the back yard, it's essentially a place set up to drink beer, usually at a function or something. it is often a fenced off area or tent at a fair or concert.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home