I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Working for the Mob



No, really!! Organized crime is a big part of life in Taiwan. The police collect "donations" from small businesses. Schools regularly slip newspapers, with envelopes in them, to the police to turn a blind eye for infractions. Prostitution is illegal, but 'special' KTVs (karaoke) bars are run by people that pay the right people. Well it seems that organized crime has felt the need to diversify...Into kindergartens. The head hancho guy at my school (I have only seen him twice) also owns one of the biggest 'special' KTVs in town.

My friend was on a field trip with her students, one of which was the grandson of the founder of my school. As they drove by the aforementioned bling bling KTV the grandson looks up and says "My grandpa's office is in there!" Smirks on the teachers all around. Another student looks thoughtful for a moment and remarks "My mommy says that, that is a bad place to go." Grandson shrugs and they move on to another topic. My friend could hardly contain herself, and neither could I when she told me.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:04 a.m., Blogger Steph said…

    WOW! Would hate to be late with the school fees. Can you imagine? You'd end up with cement boots at the bottom of a river.

     
  • At 4:33 p.m., Blogger Ang said…

    LOL

    Getting worried that I may have to join a witness protection program when I quit!!

     
  • At 12:58 p.m., Blogger SuperP. said…

    LOL!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home