I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Monday, July 11, 2005

MY DAD'S A SUPAH STAH!! (shameless plug)

We arrived at my Grandma's place in beautiful British Columbia on fri evening. My dad's band is releasing a CD and the launch was this weekend. As a lot of family was staying at his place I stayed at Gram's for the weekend. We decided to go to the Sat night concert so I said I said I would babysit my cousin's gorgeous babby for the night(and with my mom and Grams there, I hardly got to touch babby, my kind of babysitting!). Sat I went shopping with my 2 aunts on my dad's side. I hadn't seen the one since before I went to Europe, so it's been like 5 years...Cool day!

My aunt on my mom's side came up from Van for the concert (I love that although they celebrated there 25th divorce anniversary this year my dad, mom and their families remain close!!) so Sat evening Mom, Grammy, Auntie Dale, Uncle #6 Norm, and I headed down to the theatre. My friend Kathy drove up from Vancouver for the event and met us there. In the lobby before the show I started to get excited....I saw Therese, my dad's girlfriend (who I LOVE!!) and all the wives of the band members, I ran into an ex of my dad's who I was close to and so many people that I had not seen in years.

So there in the front row was Kathy, me, Grandma (dad's ex mother in law), Auntie Dale (ex sister in law), Norm, Kelly (ex girlfriend), and Bev (sister of ex girlfriend). The lights went down and after a totally sycophantic introduction,to thunderous applaud, strode three of my favourite men in the world. I had not seen my dad in over a year and I got unexpectedly teary.

My dad's band, The Lent, Fraser Wall Trio (www.lentfraserwall.com), consists of two acoustic guitars and vocals. My dad is the rhythm guitarist, and in a band with no base or drums it's a pretty important position!! Neil is the lead guitarist and this man plays with such intensity, grace and sheer talent that he often gives me goosebumps. He is a guitar teacher and this man lives music!! John is the vocalist. He is a creative writing prof at the University and has published a few books of poetry and novels. He can paint such an amazing picture with worlds that most of his songs actually have a visual aspect for me. As far as a genre they fall somewhere between blues, jazz and folk, not so easy to pigeon hole! All three of them are these friendly, funny, goofy, self-deprecating local celebrities.

During the first number I made eye contact with Neil and got one of his warm smiles and a wink. During the second number John spotted me and gave me one of his cheeky smiles. After that song John started in with the "There are so many people here that we love, Shelby's daughter Angie here (they still call me Angie)" My dad looks up "Angie's here!!! Where is she?" John and Neil both point me out. I prepare to give a big wave when dad jumps up and jumps off the stage and give me a huge hug and kiss with spotlight on us and 250 people applauding! What a mix of emotion...crying with joy, embarrassed, and worried that my skirt was stuck up my ass in front of 250 people!! Kathy was teary, my mom and grandma were bawling and John says "I think your daughter is here somewhere too!" I love them!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home