I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

You Say It's My Birthday...

So I got back into this fine country on Mon and my birthday was on Wed. Usually I am counting down the sleeps to my birthday for a good 2 ...3 weeks...ok a month. I believe that everyone is allowed one day to be their very own day, and I get as excited about other's birthdays as I do about my own-well almost as excited. This year was a bit different as I was more counting down the days to come back to Taiwan, than for my birthday. It wasn't really so much a count down either, I mean part of me was really looking forward to being back, but it is always hard to leave home!

I woke up Wed morning to breakfast in bed..always a good start. After James went to work my friend Megan called to take me out for breakfast. As I had already eaten I had a smoothie, and we had some good girlie catch-up chats. By the time I got home it was lunch time so Pao Pao, James, Dave and I went out and Dave treated me to lunch.

I had to go straight to work from lunch. It was my first day back at the one job, and my first day ever at the second job. The first job was filled with hugs and I love you and missed you's...a good feeling on any day. I was a bit nervous about the new job, but it went well, and when I was done my class the came out with a cake and all sang to me and gave me a card...so nice!!

I drove home in the pre typhoon rain to a bouquet of irises (my fave!!), funky house slippers and a GIANT homemade card from Dave. James had made some inquiries and found a super funky romantic vegetarian restaurant to take me for dinner, followed by a beer with Dave. I got a text from my friend Ruth who I was to share a birthday party with last night, and she told me she was going to take me for a foot massage for my birthday. James is sending me to the 12 hour spa for my present from him...Pampered? Why yes, thank you!!

Ruth's birthday is tomorrow so, in very unLeo fashion, we decided to share a party. We hired out a little bar and called a 'bad taste' party. If I ever figure out how, I will post some photo's from the night because it was absolutely brilliant!! Most people put in a lot of effort or at least thought and the atmosphere was great. The people at the bar were so great too. They gave us the run of the place from 9-11. They gave Ruth and I each a 'red envelope' containing Nt200 ($8 Cnd) It is traditional for kids to get a 'red envelope' for there birthday and Chinese New Years. Bosses give them at Chinese New Years too, and when the kids grow up they in turn give them to their elderly parents and grandparents. It is done for luck (of course) but is a really nice tradition, and was a really nice gesture from the bar!! James and I stumbled home at about 5, and the animals went on to sing KTV until 8. I am too old for that shit now!! (truth be told I am still a bit jet lagged and only got 3 hours sleep the night before)

All in all a very, very nice birthday. My house is a disaster...with, much to Pao Pao's terror balloons scattered everywhere. I am tired. I am full. I have good friends and a place in this mixed up world that we call Taiwan. At this paticular moment in time, I am truly happy.

ps Leah, Dave and I had a moment of silence for you...you were there with us!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! I'm so happy you had a good birthday...and sad I missed the awesome party! I tried calling you but got Chinese message. Did you get the balloons in bed from me?

     
  • At 9:40 p.m., Blogger Ang said…

    well they werent in bed cause i was jet lagged all week and awake before james...poor boy was so annoyed. but the living room was filled with them!! thank you! i love them, and pao pao is terrified of them!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home