I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Someone in our neighborhood died. I know this because they sent up a sort of tent outside the apartment. In the tent they burn fake money for the gods, have a giant picture of the dead person, and a set of the person's clothes sitting on a chair. There is always someone sitting there with the picture, clothes and burning money-for nearly two weeks.
The other morning I dragged my ass out of bed at 7:30 so that I could go meet the garbage and recycling trucks. Tuesday and Friday mornings they park outside our apartment for half an hour in the morning, so it saves chasing them down when you hear the "music". I knew something was up as soon as I looked at Pao Pao with her ears back. From inside the apartment I could hear the firecrackers and chanting (remember 7:30 AM!!!). Down on the street the road is blocked off by 2 garbage trucks, a giant tent and a bunch of people in what looks like KKK robes. I had seen this part before, but it still took me off guard that early in the morning!!
I went back upstairst to get ready for work. When I desended the 4 flights of stairs 2 hours later I heard what I could have sworn was a marching band. Low and behold....it was a marching band. Women in all shapes and sizes, in orange polyester miniskirts and white platform shoes were prancing around with trombones and trumpets. This is a funeral like I have never seen. I felt like Alice in Wonderland!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:53 p.m., Blogger Chai said…

    I think it depends on how old the deceased is and how many generations he is leaving behind. I think but I know nothing.

     
  • At 1:47 p.m., Blogger Ang said…

    The biggest thing about Taiwanese funerals, religeon and culture in general, is that you can not compartmentalize. The old, the new, religion, superstition politics and tradition all join hands to form what we so lovingly call Taiwanese culture. It is not uncommon to see a religious parade with chanting and idols in one truck followed by a tarted up girl shouting pop songs!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home