I'm a Rainbow Too!

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

I DETEST APATHY!!!

There is one main road going through Taichung-Taichung Gung Lui. It has 6 lanes and then smaller roads going down each side for scooters and cars that are going to turn. I know that I have posted a few times before about driving in Taiwan, but today was especially traumatic and enraging. Leah, Dave and I were driving down Chung Gung when we saw a scooter turned over in the middle of the street. Then we notice a man lying up against the meridian not moving. Cars, scooters and buses continued to fly by hardly even noticing. All three of us pulled off instantly and started yelling at the people that were standing outside the shop just looking to call 119. They all just stood there looking like fucking deer in headlights. I did as were are told-looked directly at one of the ladies in the shop, did the international hand signal for phone and shouted "YI YI JIU" (119) in my angriest, and most authoritative voice and waited until I saw here with the phone in her hand and nodding at me. At a break in traffic I joined Leah and Dave across the street-Dave had moved the scooter. He was breathing-thank fucking god! I have heard stories of people finding dead bodies on the side of the street. A man that had been in the store when the lady went in to phone 119 had joined us in OUR human barracade protecting this poor man from traffic. Our accident victim was still lying with his leg up over the meridian, and his face pressed into the corner. He was trying to speak, but all our new friend could make out was "thank you". Eventually he rolled over and looked at me directly in the eye. I tried to smile reassuringly but it was all I could do to not be sick. I am pretty sure that he is going to lose his one eye. The skin around his eye was all slid back and there was a pool of blood on the road beside him. There was something white oozing out around the socket, and there where ants crawling on him. All the while traffic not even slowing past. Finally the ambulance and police showed up and we gave the lookie-loos one final scowl and were on our way. I have so much rage just thinking about it. Nobody was stopping, the people on the sidewalk werent doing anything...WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:59 a.m., Blogger Steph said…

    Oh my god. And i thought i was having a bad morning. Good on you for doing the right thing, that poor man could very well have died if not for you and your friends.

    I don't understand how everyone just kept driving past.Disgusting.

     
  • At 4:38 p.m., Blogger Ang said…

    I have been trying to look at it though unbiases eyes...scooter accidents are a regular occurance on the roads here, and I have had friends come accross dead bodies before-but I just can't get over the apathy. Even if you don't stop,assume someone else is dealing with it-the people who were standing there knowing no one had called for help, no one was even checking if this man was alive-I start raging thinkng about it!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home